SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – A Colton man who claimed his vehicle had been burglarized faces misdemeanor insurance fraud.
In July 2011, 24-year-old Marcus Williams reported to the Colton Police Department that stereo equipment, vehicle parts, and firearms had been stolen from his vehicle with no known suspects. The loss was estimated at $2,300.
“During follow up by the insurance company, suspicions arose when they witnessed substantially similar replacement items in the victim’s vehicle before a payout had actually been made by the insurance company,” said Senior Investigator Mark Anderson of the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office Bureau of Investigation.
The claim and the observations were reported to the District Attorney’s Office Auto Insurance Fraud Unit for review and possible investigation. Investigators determined that Williams allegedly embellished the theft by reporting items stolen that had in fact not been stolen.
According to Anderson, the embellishment was then reported as a loss to his mother’s insurance company which covered the vehicle.
“The suspected motive for the embellishment was financial gain,” said Anderson.
This case will be prosecuted by DDA Colleen Goggin. Williams is scheduled for a Pre-Trial Hearing in the Central Superior Court on August 15, 2012. If convicted on all counts, he faces one year in county jail.
Click here to download a copy of the charging document.