FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: May 22, 2014
Memorial Day Weekend Safety Reminder
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – Memorial Day Weekend is one of the major periods throughout the year when impaired drivers are on the roads. As we take time this weekend, and particularly on Monday, May 26, 2014, to remember the men and women of our Armed Forces who have died while serving, the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office would like to remind everybody to please drink responsibly and designate a sober driver.
Please take the necessary steps to make sure this weekend is a safe one for everybody on the road. If you see a drunk driver on the road, please pull over and call 911.
- Last year, during Memorial Day weekend, the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office filed 160 DUI-related cases across the county.
- Of this amount, 2 involved serious injury.
- In 2013, 7,337 DUI-related cases were filed by the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.
- Of this amount, 269 cases involved death or serious injury.
- According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, in 2012, across the nation, alcohol-impaired driving crashes took 10,322 lives and Californians witnessed 802 deaths in DUI crashes.
DOWNLOAD GRAPHIC: “Memorial Day Weekend” (high resolution image)
(This marketing graphic may be used, printed, posted, shared, and/or uploaded in support of the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office Super Bowl drunk driving prevention campaign.)
For Safe Party Guide Tips visit the MADD website: http://www.madd.org/drunk-driving/safe-party
Throughout the weekend we will release links via Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #MemorialDayWeekend and #DrinkResponsibly